- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) butter or margarine, cubed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 to 3 tbsp (15 to 45 mL) lemon juice or water
- ¼ lb (110 g) butter or margarine
- ½ cup (125 mL) white sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (125 mL) ground almonds
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3 green apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) strained apricot jam (optional)
- icing sugar for dusting
To Prepare pastry recipes :
- Sift flour into a bowl. Cut in butter or margarine until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix in egg yolk, and enough lemon juice to make a soft, pliable dough. Wrap in plastic wrap and let rest in refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
To Prepare Filling :
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Beat in eggs, almonds and flour and set aside.
- Roll out pastry to fit a greased 9 inch (22 cm) quiche pan. Trim edges. Refrigerate for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Spread almond filling over pastry base smooth top.
- Arrange apple tart recipe slices decoratively over the filling, pressing in lightly.
- Bake preheated oven at 375°F(190°C) for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F(180°C) and bake for a futher 25 to 30 minutes or until set and golden.
- Heat jam gently. Brush over apples. Cool and serve dusted with icing sugar.