baking with pears recipes
- ¼ lb (110 g) butter
- 4 top 5 tbsp (60 to 75 ml) sugar
- 4 to 5 tbsp (60 to 75 ml) ground almonds
- pinch cinnamon
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) orange liqueur
- 4 eating pears, ripe and tender
- 1 lb (450 g) ready-made puff pastry
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) apricot jam
how to bake pears
- Make a stiff paste by creaming butter, sugar, ground almonds and cinnamon together. Gradually add egg yolk. Stir in orange liqueur.
- Peel and core pears. Split in half. Fill centers with paste. Press the two halves together.
- Roll out puff pastry into 4 oblong pieces, 4 x 8 inches (10 cm x 20 cm). Place a pear in the middle of each. Brush edges with water. Fold oblong to enclose each pear, retaining the pear shape.
- Make two small cuts at the top to allow steam to escape. Brush with lightly whisked egg white. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Place on grassed baking sheet. Bake at 400°F(200°C) for 20 minutes.
- Heat apricot jam until liquid. Strain. When pears are taken from oven, brush them lightly with hot jam as a glaze. Serve baked pear recipe hot with ice cream or custard.