homemade Curried Chicken Soup recipe
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks with green tops, chopped
- ¼ cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) curry powder
- 2 large green apples, roughly choppes
- ½ lb (225 g) cooked chicken meat, chopped
- 5 cups (1.25 L) chicken stock
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
how to make Curried Chicken Soup
- plain yogurt or whipping cream chopped fresh chives
- Melt butter in a large pan. Saute onion and celery for about 5 minutes until softened. Add flour and curry powder and continue cooking for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Stir in apple, chicken and 1 cup (250 mL) of stock. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Puree mixture in a food processor or blender. This may need to be done in several batches. Return puree to pan. Add the remaining chicken stock, lemon juice and seasonings.
- Bring to aboil. Simmer for about 10 minutes, cool, cover and chill in refrigerator. Serve cold with a spoonful of yogurt or whipping cream in each bowl and a sprinkling of chopped chives.