Lemon Grass Chicken ingredient
- 4 stalks lemon grass, thinly sliced
- ½ bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) shrimp paste
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) coconut milk
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) demerara sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) curry powder
- 2 lbs (1 kg) chicken pieces, skin removed
- juice of 1 lemon
- 5 tbsp (75 ml) oil
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) sambal oelek (chopped Thai chili pepper)
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- 2 lime leaves or 5 tsp (2.5 ml) lime peel
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
how to make chicken recipe
- Place lemon grass, green onions, onion, shrimp paste and ½ cup (125 ml) coconut milk in a food processor. Process to make a fine paste.
- Mix sugar and curry powder together in a small bowl. Rub chicken pieces with lemon juice. Spread curry mixture over chicken. Allow to marinate for about 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a heavy ovenproof casserole. Add sambal oelek. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add chicken. Fry until golden brown. Add lemon grass mixture, the remaining coconut milk, water, lime leaves and seasonings. Simmer uncovered for 35 minutes or until chicken is tender and sauce thickens slightly. Serve Lemon chicken recipe with streamed rice.