recipes for lemon sole with Grapes
- 1 whole lemon sole or silver dory, filleted and skinned
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter or margarine
- ¼ cup (60 ml) green onions, chopped
- 1 bouquet garnish
- 1 cup (250 ml) fish stock (see note)
- salt and white pepper to taste
- ¼ lb (110 g) green grapes
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) calvados or brandy
- 2 tsp (10 ml) flour
- ¼ cup (60 ml) dry white wine
- ¼ cup (60 ml) cream
how to cook lemon sole
- Check fish fillets for bones. Roll up fillets, starting with tail end. Secure with kitchen string.
- Melt half of butter in a heavy-based frying pan with a lid. Add green onions, reserving 2 tbsp (30 ml). Fry over low heat until soft.
- Add bouquet garnish, fish stock and fish. season. Simmer, covered, for 5 to 10 minutes or until the fish flakes when tasted.
- While fish is cooking, soak grapes in calvados for 15 minutes.
- When fish is cooked, drain, remove string and keep warm on a serving dish. Strain cooking liquid, reserving ½ cup (125 ml).
- In a clean pan, melt remaining butter. Saute remaining green onions until soft. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually add wine off the heat. Return to heat. Simmer until reduced by a quarter.
- Add reserved stock. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Stir in cream and grapes. Heat through gently. Pour over fish.
NOTE: Prepare fish stock by covering fish heads and bones with water. Add some chopped vegetables and a few peppercorns. Simmer for 20 minutes. Strin and use immediatelly. Do not store.