- 8 slices white bread, crust removed
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) brandy
- 6 cups (1.5 L) mixed berries,
- eg. strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, mulberries (see note)
- ½ cup (125 ml) sugar (see note)
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) water
- cream to serve
how to make pudding
- Cut bread into fingers. Cover base and sides of a 4-cup (1 L) souffle dish with bread, saving enough pieces to make a top.
- Drizzle brandy over the bread on the base. set aside.
- Place fruit in a large pan with sugar and water. Cook over very low heat until the sugar has dissolved and the fruit is soft but not mushy (there should be plenty of juice).
- Strain the fruit. Reserve juice. Drizzle 1 tbsp (15 ml) of juice over base of pudding spoon the fruit into the bread case.
- Pour over all but ¼ cup (60 ml) juice, top with remaining bread fingers. Pour over remaining juice.
- Place a plate, small enough to fit inside the rim of the dish, on top of the pudding. Press down with heavy cans or weights. Refrigerate overnight.
- Just before serving the berries pudding, remove the weights and plate. Invert onto serving dish. Serve pudding with cream
NOTE: If canned fruit is used, use juice and reduce sugar to ¼ cup (60 ml).