Cantonese Chow Mein
375 g (12 oz) egg noodles, boiled 8 minutes rinsed in cold water, drained
- 3 tbsp oil
- 125 g (4 oz) shrimps, thinly sliced
- 30 g (1 oz) bamboo shoots, thinly sliced
- 4 leaves Chinese cabbage, cut tin diagonally
- 2 stalks celery, cut thin diagonally
- 6 mushroom, sliced
- 6 snow peas
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup stock
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp light soya sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp mono-sodium glutamate
- ½ cup water
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- Brush some oil on noodles to separate. Heat 2 tbsp oil very hot. Put noodles in skillet making sure noodles are separate by shaking loose with fork. Brown evenly. if noodles become hard, sprinkle a little water on them during the frying period. heat 1 tbsp oil. Put in garlic.
- When oil gets very hot, put in shrimp and brown. add vegetables and mix. pour in stock. Cover. Cook 3 min. Blend together cornflour, soya sauce, salt, pepper, mono-sodium glutamate and water. Add to pan.
- when juice thickens, turns off noodles. Garnish Cantonese Chow Mein with spring onion.