Prep time: 30 minutes + 10 minutes standing
Cooking time: 2 hours 35 minutes
- 1.5 kg eggplant, cut into 1 cm slices
- ¼ cups (60 ml) olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1.2 kg lamb mince
- ⅓ cup (90 g) tomato paste
- 1 cup (250 ml) red wine
- 2 x 425 g cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 100 g butter
- ¾ cups (90 g) plain flour
- 3 cups (750 ml) milk
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ cup (75 g) grated kefalotyri cheese (see Note)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- Lightly grease a 3 liter ceramic ovenproof dish and preheat the grill to hot. Place the eggplant slice on an oiled baking tray, brush lightly with 2 tablespoons oil and grill for 5-7 minutes each side, or until browned. Grill the rest of the eggplant, in batches if necessary.
- preheat the oven to moderate 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Heat the remaining tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until brown. Add the garlic, cumin and cinnamon, and cook for a further minute. Increase the heat to high, add the mince and cook for 5 minutes, or until the meat has browned, breaking up any lumps with a fork. Drain off any oil.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes. Pour in the wine, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, or until reduced by half. Add the tomato, oregano and parsley, and simmer over medium heat for 1 hour, or until nearly all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minutes, or until foaming. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk and nutmeg. Return to the heat and stir constantly until the sauce boils and thickens. Reduce the heat and simmer for two minutes. Stir in ½ cup (50 g) cheese, then remove from the heat and stir in the eggs just before using.
- To assemble the moussaka, Place a third of the eggplant slice across the base of the dish and top with half of the mince mixture. Layer another third of the eggplant into the dish, and spread the remaining mince across the top. Finish with a layer of eggplant, then top with the white sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake for 35 minutes, or until evenly browned. Leave for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition per serve(6):
Fat 48 g
Protein 59 g
Carbohydrate 34 g
Dietary Fibre 9.5 g
Cholesterol 309.5 mg; 3445 kJ (820 Cal)
Kefalotyri is a very hard Greek cheese made from sheep or goat’s milk. The taste and texture are similar to Parmesan cheese, and Parmesan or pecorino can be used instead.